Sunday 4 June 2017

Day (-) 1 of Mentor on Road, USA

We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.
-Swami Vivekananda

As it is a Saturday, we enjoyed quite a relaxed morning in Boston. We enjoyed breakfast at a leisurely pace. I took a long walk and just like every morning, did yoga. After getting done with the morning rituals, I drove down to Walmart to buy some products for daily needs. While on my way to Walmart, I observed that there were very few people on roads as compared to weekdays.




Walmart is arguably the largest chain of supermarkets in the world. As of January 31st, 2017, Walmart has 11,695 stores and clubs operational across 28 countries and under 63 banners. An interesting fact about Walmart is that the design across all their stores, irrespective of the location is consistent. Even the product placement in all the stores is identical. Such discipline and consistency is the key to its success.

While at Walmart, it was interesting to observe the buying behavior of American citizens. I realized that people flock to such marts to carry out their weekly shopping. Noticing the kind of products people were buying gave me a good understanding of a high consumption driven society and economy.

Next up, we drove down to a light house beach site in New Haven. It was a lush green park and the water there was cool. I could see water scooters, boats and gliders on the beach. Family gatherings happening around me reminded me of India and left a good feeling in my heart.







I then enjoyed a mint chocolate chip ice-cream, large (;-))



I loved the view around the light house. While checking out the area, I happened to observe a wedding at the beach. Everyone seemed happy. The scene made me realize that life is all about chasing happiness rather than running after materialistic pleasure. 

People tend to forget that both of these things are not always the same.

On that note, I will sign off. I cannot wait for Monday.
Until then, have a good time! 

Good night.

Jai ho!

No comments:

Post a Comment